Run, walk, or jog in the 9th annual Daily News Press Run to support the Newspapers In Education program on Saturday, November 7th, 2020. Featuring certified Galveston Causeway 5K and 10K courses, a Kid's 1K sponsored by Whataburger, a book character costume contest, dozens of vendor booths, music, food, and much more. We have a big event planned for you!
The 2020 Press Run Responds to COVID-19
- The Press Run hours of on-site event registration will be expanded.
- Online registration only, either in advance or on race day on phones before checking in. No pens/paper.
- Race day check-in line(s) marked with 6-feet interval.
Check-in was done by runners picking up pre-pinned bib from piles, giving name and number verbally to race worker 6 feet away.
- Water bottles will be supplied - however, runners are encouraged to BYO
- Staff and volunteers who are interacting with participants pre-race, on race day and post-race will be provided gloves.
- All runners are required to wear masks/face covering pre-and post-race. Race staff will wear masks full time.
- Hand sanitizer/soap & water at bathrooms/ Porta Johns, runners must wear masks when using, possible attendant to sanitize handles, etc. after each use. 6 feet spacing marked on waiting lines.
- Start "line" includes grid- runners stand on marked spots at 6 feet spacing (similar to Indy/Grand Prix auto-start see diagram below).
- Chip time - no chute/pull tags.
- Runners are encouraged to leave the finish area ASAP. No congregating in groups afterward.
- Runners must choose a 15-minute starting window during registration. The start line will be open for an extended period, to allow no more than 39 runners to start in each wave. Runners must start singly within their chosen wave unless they are running with a family member. During the race, runners must maintain a 6 feet separation from runners they pass or are passed by.
- Hand-washing stations and sanitation stations around the venue for athletes, volunteers, and spectators will be increased
- The award ceremony will be recorded at the conclusion of the race and posted on GalvNews.com that evening for runners to watch the results.
- Medals will be passed out later one-on-one or mailed to winners.
- An email will be sent announcing the winners at the end of the event.
Support Newspapers in Education
The Daily News Press Run provides support to the Newspapers in Education program (NIE). NIE provides resources that use the newspaper to develop reading comprehension skills, critical thinking and a better understanding of the way the world relates to the classroom. We have a waiting list of teachers who want to join and need your help to make the program a success for the upcoming school year.
- Professional chip timing
- USATF certified courses
- Courses begin and end at The Daily News building at 8522 Teichman Road in Galveston
Kid’s 1K, 5K, and 10K Run
Race Date: Saturday, November 7, 2020
Registration Begins at: 5:30 AM
Complete your 5K or 10K anywhere/anytime times are due by November 11, 2020
Race from Pillow (Donation with Shirt)
- Kid's 1K - $10 until 8/30/20; $15 after 8/30/20; $15 race day
- 5K Run/Walk - $30 until 8/30/20; $35 after 8/30/20; $40 race day
- 10K Run/Walk - $35 until 8/30/20; $40 after 8/30/20; $45 race day
Divisions - Men/Women/Kids:
- 10 & under (Kids), 11-14yrs, 15-19yrs, 20-24yrs, 25-29yrs, 30-34yrs, 35-39yrs, 40-44yrs, 45-49yrs, 50-54yrs, 55-59yrs, 60-64yrs, 65-69yrs, 70 & over
- 1st place overall male & female (1K, 5K & 10K)
- 1st - 3rd place male & female in each age division (5K & 10K)
- Friday, November 6 from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
The Daily News at 8522 Teichman Rd, Galveston, TX 77554
- RACE DAY: Saturday, November 7 from 5:00 a.m. to 6:30 a.m.
The Daily News at 8522 Teichman Rd, Galveston, TX 75574
Please plan to arrive 60-90 minutes prior to race start.
Parking is to be determined and will be announced closer to race day.
Dress up as your favorite book character as we celebrate Literacy Day with our Smart Family Literacy, Inc. Partners. The first, second, and third place winners will win a special prize donated by local merchants. The contest is divided in two groups children and adults. A panel will judge the costumes.