On April 11, 1842, an itinerant printer and adventurer named Samuel Bangs pulled a single sheet of paper off a hand-cranked press he’d installed in rented space in downtown Galveston, launching The Daily News. The articles, photographs and illustrations collected here chronicle and commemorate the remarkable people and events that shaped Texas’ oldest newspaper during the following 175 years.
It has been 175 years since a newspaper known as The Daily News first appeared in Galveston, a city far different than the one in which we live today. So, too, has the newspaper changed during those years.
Willard Richardson brought to The News a philosophy contrary to what was common to most Texas newspapers of the era: No longer would The News toe any particular political party line. Moreover, it would feature straightforward news as opposed to the pontifications that then passed for journalism.
The Daily News was the first newspaper in the state to hire a stable of writers to aggressively seek out and report the goings-on within the paper’s broad circulation area, which at one point encompassed much of the state.
21 updates to this series since
- Two minors charged in shooting death of 19-year-old in Dickinson
- District will review response to Galveston bomb threat
- Slingshot riders spin into Galveston County
- Texas firm buys Galveston Yacht Basin; Dairy Queen rumors fly in Texas City
- Kali Cook, Galveston County's youngest COVID fatality, was 'beautiful', mother says
- Boutique hotel prepares to open in Galveston; Tanger Outlets adds to retail lineup in Texas City
- Galveston Island Shrimp Festival brings big crowds to downtown
- Norwegian Cruises will call Galveston home starting in 2023
- Galveston County school districts haven't budged over mask rule threats
- Guest commentary: Clear Creek ISD shouldn't be pushing 'equity' agenda
- In Focus: Clear Falls vs Dickinson High School Football
- In Focus: Clear Springs vs Conroe High School Football
- In Focus: Houston 28, Navy 20
- In Focus: Clear Falls vs Cinco Ranch High School Football
- In Focus: Astros 7, Diamondbacks 6
- In Focus: Ball High vs Texas City High School Football
- In Focus: Astros 4, Diamondbacks 3
- In Focus: Hurricane Nicholas
- In Focus: Astros 5, Mariners 4
- In Focus: Diamondbacks 6, Astros 4