More than half of American teenagers are reporting their level of stress is rivaling adults. Every Sunday in April, The Daily News will examine a different aspect of current issues facing teens and their parents.
This series will focus on the various reasons teenagers feel so stressed, how they handle it and where their parents fit into the equation.
While tobacco use has dropped significantly in the past 20 years, but use of other drugs by teens is still significantly high, according to recent surveys.
Studies also suggest a disconnect between parents and teenagers. Reasons for stress and thoughts on college differ between teenagers and their parents, according to self-reported data.
The Daily News also talked to local teenagers to find out whether this data accurately represents what students from the county experience.
Join us each week as we examine the issues, and share your feedback with us.
High schools nationwide are beginning to acknowledge that students are too stressed. Programs, including stress management seminars, longer lunch periods and homework caps, are a part of a growing initiative to keep students like Anna Lassmann from fasting until she can get through four more chapters of reading and a math assignment.
4 updates to this series since
- Galveston lawyer stopped, cited after scary stroll on seawall beach
- Kali Cook, Galveston County's youngest COVID fatality, was 'beautiful', mother says
- Hurricane Nicholas Updates: With power out, many districts canceling school Wednesday
- Tropical Storm Watch Issued for the Galveston Area as Tropical Storm Nicholas Forms in the Gulf of Mexico
- Damage from Nicholas includes downed trees and power outages in Galveston County
- Hurricane Nicholas gives Galveston's West End beaches another battering
- Tropical Storm Nicholas Update
- Officials conducting autopsy after Bacliff girl's reported COVID death
- Some Galveston County residents could be without power for days
- Popular Galveston fishing pier sustains another blow from storm
- In Focus: Hurricane Nicholas
- In Focus: Clear Falls vs Cinco Ranch High School Football
- In Focus: Astros 3, Angels 1
- In Focus: Astros 4, Diamondbacks 3
- In Focus: Hitchcock vs La Marque High School Football
- In Focus: Angels 4, Astros 2
- In Focus: Mariners 8, Astros 5
- In Focus: Astros 11, Mariners 2
- In Focus: Astros 5, Mariners 4
- In Focus: Ball High vs Texas City High School Football