A six-part series — Low Lands, High Stakes — explores challenges and opportunities facing the wetland environment in Galveston County in context of historic flooding, sea rise associated with climate change, a booming population and threatened withdrawal of wetlands protections by the federal government.
For a limited time, read the first installment of this compelling local journalism free through a special introductory opportunity made possible by Galveston Bay Foundation’s generous sponsorship.
Part One of a 6-part series on wetlands loss in Galveston County in the face of flooding and sea level rise, and efforts to mitigate, restore and preserve these essential natural resources.
Homeowners can practice restoration of essential wetlands on their own small plots of coastal land by creating what are often called living sh…
Local municipalities rely on federal regulations and federal enforcement rather than enacting their own wetlands protection ordinances, despite repeated efforts by residents to enact local oversight.
Facing potential threats from weakened legal protection, wetlands scientists, environmental activists and businesses seek smart solutions to preserve remaining wetlands in coastal Texas and to build new ones.
7 updates to this series since
- Kali Cook, Galveston County's youngest COVID fatality, was 'beautiful', mother says
- Galveston lawyer stopped, cited after scary stroll on seawall beach
- Hurricane Nicholas Updates: With power out, many districts canceling school Wednesday
- Tropical Storm Watch Issued for the Galveston Area as Tropical Storm Nicholas Forms in the Gulf of Mexico
- Officials conducting autopsy after Bacliff girl's reported COVID death
- Damage from Nicholas includes downed trees and power outages in Galveston County
- University leaders recommend Raimer drop interim title at UTMB in Galveston
- Tropical Storm Nicholas Update
- Some Galveston County residents could be without power for days
- After budget's passage, Galveston County's chief financial officer resigns
- In Focus: Hurricane Nicholas
- In Focus: Hitchcock vs La Marque High School Football
- In Focus: Astros 3, Angels 1
- In Focus: Astros 10, Angels 5
- In Focus: Angels 4, Astros 2
- In Focus: Ball High vs Texas City High School Football
- In Focus: Mariners 8, Astros 5
- In Focus: Astros 11, Mariners 2
- In Focus: Astros 5, Mariners 4
- In Focus: Dickinson vs Manvel High School Football