Shaun Philip Hardy, 32, was charged Saturday with first degree murder in the death of his former wife, Anne-Christine Johnson, who had been missing since Dec. 8.

The charges came a day after police found human remains in Hardy’s residence at 617 Chesterfield Lane in League City.

Hardy was in Galveston County jail on $500,000 bond Saturday after being charged Friday with tampering with evidence, county officials said.

Police believe the remains found Friday are Johnson’s but were awaiting confirmation from dental records, said Kelly Williamson, spokesman for the League City Police Department.

The cause of death would not be determined until an autopsy was completed, Williamson said.

While police were awaiting a positive identification, Johnson’s mother was convinced it was her.

“The situation changed from being surreal to sheer horror,” Stephanie Johnson said.

“It appears there will justice for my daughter. It gives me a lot of satisfaction to see his mugshot.”

“Even if they prosecute him and he goes to jail, he’s not the only one. I’m in a prison or a hell my entire life.

“I’m wondering about my daughter and if she suffered and I’m wondering how I’ll help raise my grandchildren.”

Hardy and Johnson were married Nov. 14, 2013. Their final divorce decree is dated April 30, 2015. Hardy got custody of their 5-year-old son.

Johnson also has an 8-year-old son from a previous marriage.

Relatives picked up a child from the residence Friday afternoon, police said.

But Stephanie Johnson said she did not have the younger son, and was unsure about his situation.

“The older son is with his father,” she said. “I’m not sure where the younger son is. I’m told it’s something the police and CPS are managing.”

Hardy was charged with tampering with evidence/human corpse, a second-degree felony, after League City police found remains while serving the second of two warrants at the house where Hardy reportedly resides.

League City Police served a warrant about 3 p.m. Friday allowing officers to search for a particular item, which police have declined to specify, said Kelly Williamson, spokesman for the police department.

While searching for that item, police found evidence of a crime scene, Williamson said. He did not elaborate on what was found.

That discovery led police to get a second search warrant for the whole property, Williamson said.

During that search, police found human remains, he said.

Hardy, who was at the residence during the first search, was detained, Williamson said.

In June 2015, Hardy and Johnson filed restraining orders against each other. They gave different accounts of an incident that sent Johnson to the hospital.

She had abrasions to her neck, according to a medical report from Clear Lake Regional Medical Center dated June 16, 2015.

Hardy was not arrested. He produced a signed affidavit with a differing account, saying Johnson had physically attacked him first.

Stephanie Johnson has said the police treated the incident as a “he-said, she-said” situation.

Contact reporter Matthew deGrood at 409-683-5230 or



(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Thank you for Reading!

Please log in, or sign up for a new account and purchase a subscription to read or post comments.