The hotel security guard who died Saturday after being shot in a Galveston parking lot last week was alerted to possible burglaries by a co-worker, according to information released Monday by the Galveston County District Attorney’s Office.

The details are included in an arrest warrant affidavit for Tyronne Haynes, 21, of Missouri City.

Haynes was charged Sunday with a felony count of engaging in organized criminal activity. He had been held since the April 9 shooting on a lesser charge of criminal trespass.

The security guard, Phillip Molis, 23, of Galveston, died Saturday evening, six days after he was shot in a parking lot on Sias Street behind the San Luis Resort.

The affidavit sheds light on how Molis came upon three men in the parking lot at about 10:15 p.m.

A hotel employee looking out a window saw three hooded men burglarizing cars in the west part of the parking lot, according to the affidavit.

The employee told police after the shooting that he notified hotel security about what he could see and called Molis directly to give him the exact location of the men, according to the affidavit.

The employee told police he watched as Molis approached the three men and saw him being shot, according to the affidavit.

The shooting set off a manhunt through the neighborhoods immediately south of the San Luis, which is in the 5200 block of Seawall Boulevard.

Police used dogs and helicopters to search for the three men.

After a perimeter was set up, police stopped a man on the 2900 block of 53rd Street, less than three blocks from the parking lot where Molis was shot.

The man, later identified as Haynes, was found behind a fence and “appeared to be hiding,” according to the affidavit. He was wearing clothes similar to what the had been described to police, according to the affidavit.

Haynes was taken to the police station, where he waived his rights to have an attorney present during questioning, according to the affidavit.

He told police that he was homeless, and had arrived on the island the night of the shooting, according to the affidavit.

He said he had been sleeping for several hours behind the building where he was found, according to the affidavit.

Police allege Haynes later admitted he had broken into a car in the parking lot, cutting his thumb while he did so, according to the affidavit.

The affidavit does not say whether Haynes gave any information about the shooting.

He refused to provide details about the vehicle he used to get onto the island, or about other people he may have been with, according to the affidavit.

On the night of the shooting, police found 10 cars that had been burglarized in the parking lot where Molis was shot.

Haynes was charged Sunday with engaging in organized criminal activity and was being held on $100,000 bond, police said. The charge is specifically related to one of the vehicle break-ins, police said.

During a news conference last week, police said Haynes is a member of a Missouri City gang called Gorilla Mob 187. The department is still seeking information about the two other men in the parking lot.

The department is offering a $30,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest and prosecution of the people who shot Molis.

Anyone with information should call Galveston Police Department’s tip line at 409-765-3762

John Wayne Ferguson: 409-683-5226; or on Twitter @johnwferguson.


Senior Reporter

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Thank you for Reading!

Please log in, or sign up for a new account and purchase a subscription to read or post comments.