La Marque’s McKinney United Methodist Church will celebrate its first 100 years with services at 3 p.m. on Sunday at 1607 Nashby St.
Begun with just one a dozen congregants as Highland Chapel a century ago, it was one of several churches “born in a red barn,” a much more common structure then than now. In 1921, they moved to the Nashby address which has since expanded to meet many community needs including the Boy Scouts, voter registration drives, support for both civil rights and senior citizens as part of its religious outreach. In 1961 McKinney received a special honorific from its denomination. They christened it, “God’s Mighty Fortress on the Gulf Coast.”