Due to the inclement weather anticipated for this weekend, several events have been rescheduled. Please see below for the events that have been postponed:
• The Texas-City La Marque Chamber of Commerce’s annual shrimp boil and dance has been postponed until Sept. 14. Visit www.texascitychamber.com tickets and information.
• The Galveston Arts Center has rescheduled its August ArtWalk opening reception featuring artists Bradley Kerl and Angel Oloshove to 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Sept. 9 at 2127 Strand St. in Galveston; visit www.galvestonartscenter.org.
• The Grand 1894 Opera House has rescheduled its ArtWalk event to 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Sept. 9 in Edna’s Room at The Grand, 2020 Postoffice St., in Galveston. The “Dixie’s Tupperware Party,” originally scheduled for Saturday, has now been rescheduled for 8 p.m. Nov. 10. Current ticket holders have several options regarding the rescheduling; email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• The inaugural Galveston Battle on the Bay, which was set for Saturday at Moody Gardens, has been postponed. Visit battleonthebaygalveston.com for an update on when it’ll be rescheduled.
• The Port Bolivar Volunteer Fire Department has postponed its 19th annual BBQ Cook-off, which was set for today and Saturday at 1806 Loop 108 in Port Bolivar. The organizers will reschedule the event for a later date to be announced. For information, call BJ Jewell, 409-599-7815, or Malcolm Comeaux, 409-771-7026.
• Third Coast, J. Bangle’s Silk Stocking and From the HeART galleries have also rescheduled its ArtWalk events for Sept. 9.
• Moody Mansion also will be closed today through Sunday. For information, visit www.moodymansion.org or call 409-765-9770.
NOT CANCELED Ella at 100 tribute concert
Make plans to get your tickets for a special tribute concert presented by the Houston Symphony.
The Houston Symphony will celebrate the centennial year of jazz legend Ella Fitzgerald with a tribute concert at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 1 and Sept. 2, and 2:30 p.m. Sept. 3 at Jones Hall for the Performing Arts, 615 Louisiana St., in Houston.
The concert will be led by Principal POPS Conductor Steven Reineke, and will feature Fitzgerald favorites such as “Dream a Little Dream of Me,” “It Don’t Mean a Thing (If It Ain’t Gt That Swing” and “Summertime” sung by powerhouse vocalists Montego Glover, Capathia Jenkins and N’Kenge.
Tickets begin at $35. For tickets and information, visit www.houstonsymphony.org or call 713-224-7575.
World renown saxophonist set to perform
World renown saxophonist Tom Braxton will be performing at 10 a.m. Sunday at Life Fellowship Church, 2020 Anders Lane, in Kemah.
Braxton has performed with entertainers such as Sheila E., Aretha Franklin, Luther Vandross, and countless other jazz greats. His music has been inspiring audiences of all ages from coast to coast for nearly two decades.
Admission is free and open to the public.
For information, email email@example.com or call 832-864-2800.