This Education Celebration special section, sponsored by Galveston Independent School District, features profiles and photos of the valedictorians at each of the high schools in Galveston County. You'll also learn about the Leslie P. Daughtry Scholarship winners. The Daily News invites you to take a few moments to meet this group of bright and determined students.
Click here to view the flipbook edition of this special section.
Leslie P. Daughtry Scholarship
The Daily News is proud to award the Leslie P. Daughtry Scholarship to deserving college-bound graduates from Galveston County. Named after Leslie P. Daughtry, publisher of The Daily News from 1967 to 1987.These scholarships are awarded to each of the 15 high schools in Galveston County.
About Newspapers in Education
Newspapers in Education (NIE) is a cooperative effort between area teachers and The Galveston County Daily News to promote the use of newspapers as an education resource.
With the help of local businesses, The Daily News is able to provide students throughout Galveston County with an up-to-date living textbook.
The NIE program has helped teachers discover innovative ways to use the newspaper as an effective and timely teaching tool in the classrooms, aside from the regular textbook. The program provides teachers with many curriculum guides for using the newspaper to achieve the best results in educating the youth of the community.
The Daily News strives to employ the newspaper in the classroom as an effective and efficient tool, allowing teachers to help students become informed and involved citizens of their communities.
The Daily News invites teachers from Galveston County schools to sign up and participate in the 2021-22 NIE program.
For a participation request form, contact Yvonne Mascorro, circulation director, at 409-683-5264 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Authorities identify man who died at marina Saturday
- Teen wanted in Mississippi arrested after four hours on the lam
- Inside a KKK murder plot: Grab him up, take him to the river
- As COVID cases rise, some Galveston County businesses require masks again
- Battleship Texas chances at Galveston's Seawolf Park berth sinking
- Galveston attorney John Eckel, a ‘true gentleman,’ dies at 85
- Port Bolivar woman planned fatal June shooting, investigators say
- Galveston man charged in five-vehicle wreck near causeway
- It's time for Galveston to take the trash out
- Man dies in League City jail custody, Texas Rangers investigate