Galveston County football Week 8 top performances
1) Tyler Page, QB, Friendswood — Page was 14 yards shy of matching Friendswood’s single-game rushing yards record in the Mustangs’ 52-34 win against Clear Creek on Saturday. Page racked up 387 rushing yards and five touchdowns on 25 carries, and he added 69 yards on seven-for-13 passing.
2) Sam Mathews, QB, Clear Creek — Mathews sparked a previously struggling offense with a strong showing in the Wildcats’ 52-34 defeat against Friendswood on Saturday with 237 yards, and a TD on 13-for-22 passing and 96 rushing yards and two TDs on nine carries.
3) Nathan Kruger, QB, Santa Fe — Krueger led the Indians offense to give Santa Fe its first district win in almost three years with 212 yards and two TDs passing, and 62 yards rushing in Friday’s 41-24 win against Galena Park.
4) Carlos Frank, RB, Hitchcock — Frank found ways to find pay dirt from all over the field in the Bulldogs’ 44-12 win Friday against Hempstead. Frank finished with 97 rushing yards and two TDs on six carries, had an 84-yard punt return TD and a 43-yard TD reception.
5) Todd Hudson, RB, Clear Springs — Hudson made a home in the end zone in Friday’s 52-21 win against Clear Falls, scoring four rushing TDs with 136 yards on just 14 carries.
6) Michael Parker, QB, Hitchcock — Parker made the most of the handful of times his number was called Friday, turning in 107 rushing yards and a TD on nine carries, and 85 passing yards and a TD on two completions and three total pass attempts.
7) Noah Daniels, RB/CB, Clear Creek — One of the top defensive players in the county was a force on offense for the Wildcats on Saturday as Daniels posted 85 rushing yards and two TDs on 21 carries, and 89 yards receiving and a TD on four catches.
8) DeMarco Guidry, RB, La Marque — Guidry led an effective Cougars’ running attack in their 43-23 win Friday against Anahuac, piling up 170 yards and a TD on 20 carries.
9) Jared Hernandez, RB, Texas City — Hernandez powered Texas City’s smash-mouth running game in the Stings’ 41-23 win against Fort Bend Willowridge on Friday, rushing for 126 yards and three TDs on only 13 carries.
10) Myles Lewis, RB, Dickinson — Only one half of wreaking havoc on the ground was enough for Lewis and the Gators in their 55-7 win Friday against Alvin. Lewis led Dickinson in rushing with 126 yards and a TD, all recorded in the game’s first two quarters.
— James LaCombe
James LaCombe is the sports editor of the Galveston County Daily News. He can be reached at email@example.com