The Daily News asked readers what questions they’d ask candidates for Galveston City Council. Some of those questions will be asked at a forum Wednesday at Ball High School. Others will be included in a questionnaire.
1. What will your priorities be if elected?
2. What are the biggest problems facing the city and the council, and what will you do about them?
3. What is your position regarding continued historic preservation vs. demolition?
4. How important are the repairs of the city’s infrastructure, and what specifically will you do to make street repairs and improve sewers to prevent neighborhood flooding?
5. What is your position on economic development vs. maintaining scenic beach views, in particular (exemptions for) building heights along the seawall and construction on the beach? (i.e. Do you think that Miami Beach is a model for Galveston?)
6. What direction should economic development be heading in general, and what will you do to support it?
7. What are the needs of the downtown area, and how will you support them?
8. What is your position on port expansion, and how will you support it?
Bruce and Debbie Lewis