As much as I enjoy “alternative truths,” in my humorous stories, I will avoid outright lies here.
President Trump promised to fix everything. The wall being one; a stupid idea used to get elected.
1. Remember the wall where the Soviet Union divided Germany; and President Reagan said “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down that wall?” And later what happened to the Soviet Union that no longer exists.
2. On Aug. 30, 2015, in this paper, my story “A Trump wall between USA and Mexico” indicated the cost of the wall at about $72 billion and made the point that it would not work. How do you guard a 2,000 mile wall from tunnels? What keeps one from going around the end with a row boat or flying over it with a cheap ultralight airplane?
3. And what purpose does it serve? The most serious terrorist attacks we suffered were from homegrown radicals and in the worst case they came by airplane into New York City. I am for building a wall around New York City.
As far as keeping out undocumented workers; we don’t really want that and are certainly unwilling to pay that price. If we did, we could stop them today with our existing laws. It is illegal to hire an undocumented worker. They won’t come if there are no jobs. The businesses’ excuse that they cannot identify them is just not valid; they know what they are doing and who they are hiring ($8 per hour and can’t speak English?).
The reason we don’t want to stop them is because they provide needed labor for food crop harvesting and construction work for which we are unwilling to pay double or triple the price using our own United States Labor.
Are they hurting us by:
1. Not paying income taxes? At $8 per hour there is no income tax; if they don’t pay Social Security tax that’s because their employer is violating the law and not even paying the company’s share.
2. Voting for Democrats? They can’t legally vote. Those that do are criminals not just undocumented workers.
3. Getting free health care? Everyone working for $8 per hour cannot afford insurance so they (them and us) get free care in the emergency rooms.
Ever consider the difference between you and an undocumented worker? Neither of you chose your place of birth or parents. You were lucky they were not.
Actually the undocumented workers I know (from housing construction) are hardworking desperate individuals trying to support their families back in Mexico. Not so different from the great Cajuns that cross the Louisiana border every day to work in Texas and the Americans that cross into Canada daily to build American cars.
President Trump you’re already elected; forget the wall that no one needs or wants and be happy that we have Mexico as a peaceful neighbor, a source of low-cost labor and authentic Tex-Mex food. And finally, don’t mess with China unless you want to close down Wal-Mart.