The bravest man in the United States today is Presidential Press Secretary Sean Spicer.

He has to deal with “Shoot off your mouth first and take out your brain later.”

Years and years ago, at a convention of columnists in Portland, Ore., a representative came to tell us about an upcoming invention called the World Wide Web.

I think she was from AT&T, but I really don’t remember. What I do remember is that the entire group of writers, having listened to what was to be forthcoming, decided to a man, and woman, that an Information Superhighway was a really bad idea.

We were against it overwhelmingly.

The sad part of the story was there were not enough of us to stop it. Now look where we are.

I am blaming the “www” for most everything bad that is going on today, because everybody everywhere is aware of the bad thoughts and feelings of everybody else.

We share too much, don’t you think?

I have friends whom I know and love who send pictures out over the airwaves of the food they had for lunch.

I know of one lady in particular who had five portraits of herself in only one day of Facebook. What is that about?

It’s about “me-ism,” I think. People who are narcissists, who emulate the guy from Greek mythology who fell in love with his own image.

More and more I am wondering whatever happened to all those private people who kept their business to themselves.

I had a brother-in-law, now in heaven, who was such a sweet man. But when I tried once to write about something he had done as a kid, he would have none of it.

I have, from time to time, wanted to write a feature story about this one or that one and been told “no” in no uncertain terms. So you all have missed hearing about some really interesting people. They were reticent about becoming public figures, even in so small a space.

What has happened to all those reticent people?

They have learned how to use the World Wide Web, that’s what. And, according to a report last week on ”60 Minutes,” they have gotten hooked on smart phones. That report showed how the makers have lured phone users into being addicted to them.

Someone needs to hide away for respite times all the smart phones of all the people. Beginning with the Chief Tweeter.

Cathy Gillentine is a Daily News columnist. She may be reached at cgillentine1@sbcglobal.net.

(18) comments

Jarvis Buckley

You went the long way around to take a shot at our president.

Josh Butler

"And because everyone who writes and everyone who broadcasts has to spend a huge amount of time and space verifying everything that is written and broadcast, we all need to learn to tell the truth and have respect for it. Beginning with the Chief Tweeter. "

Do you mean like CNN and MSNBC? Now that's rich.

Ken Hufstetler

Cathy, I always enjoy your articles and look forward to reading them. You are an "old-schooler" and I have no doubt you take the time to verify what you write about. But you seem to be in the minority these days. As far as Trump tweeting, maybe, just maybe, if the national news media did more checking and verifying the facts before reporting, Trump would not have to tweet so much. He probably reaches more people with his tweets than any of the national news media. He used it effectively during the campaign so he is going to continue using what works.

Doyle Beard

Ken you are correct but the media just don't get it. Seems so many of the news media seems to be out of touch with America . Some appear to me believe the average American needs them to decipher the news for them instead of reporting the facts. Always wanting to make things sensational. I told my wife back in the early 50's the news media was beginning to try and control things. She at that time thought I was kidding her but years later sees their bias.

Jim Forsythe

When the President tweets it can, and has been used in a court of law. If you want our President to put it all out for all to see, we have one. How many times , even on here, has someone said, this is what he means!
What his staff says.
"Trump lawyer: President 'not under investigation' — no matter what Trump tweets
"The president is not under investigation by the special counsel," Jay Sekulow, a member of President Trump’s legal team, told “Meet the Press” moderator Chuck Todd on NBC. "

What trump said
Don’t trust stories with anonymous sources
May 28, 2017

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
An 'extremely credible source' has called my office and told me that @BarackObama's birth certificate is a fraud.
3:23 PM - 6 Aug 2012

What trump said
There's "nothing easier or more pathetic than being a critic."
May 13, 2017

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 11 Jun 2012
With almost 1.3 million followers and rising really fast, everyone is asking me to critique things(and people). Finally, I will be a critic.

What trump said
“The US Senate should switch to 51 votes”
May 30, 2017

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
Thomas Jefferson wrote the Senate filibuster rule. Harry Reid & Obama killed it yesterday. Rule was in effect for over 200 years.
12:56 PM - 22 Nov 2013

What trump said
“We never ever should have left Iraq"
March 20, 2017

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
Iraq is falling apart fast - two trillion dollars and so many deaths - Bush got us in and Obama took far too long to get us out!
8:32 PM - 11 Jun 2014

What trump said
“Mike Flynn should ask for immunity”
March 31, 2017

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
ATTN: @HillaryClinton - Why did five of your staffers need FBI IMMUNITY?! #BigLeagueTruth #Debates
8:29 PM - 9 Oct 2016 · University City, MO

What trump said
“What I did should have been done by the Obama administration”
April 11, 2017

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
AGAIN, TO OUR VERY FOOLISH LEADER, DO NOT ATTACK SYRIA - IF YOU DO MANY VERY BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN & FROM THAT FIGHT THE U.S. GETS NOTHING!
8:20 AM - 5 Sep 2013

What trump said
The electoral college is “genius”
November 15, 2016

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy.
10:45 PM - 6 Nov 2012

What trump's done
Trump went golfing... thirteen times by March 28.
March 28, 2017

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
Can you believe that, with all of the problems and difficulties facing the U.S., President Obama spent the day playing golf. Worse than Carter
7:03 PM - 13 Oct 2014

Carlos Ponce

Obama's golf trips were for pleasure. Just like GW Bush's trips to Texas were working trips, most of Trump's golf trips were also working, Golfing with world leaders instead of celebrities. BIG DIFFERENCE, Jim.
When a Democrat changes their mind, Liberals say they "evolve". When a Republican takes a different view on things, Liberals say they are being hypocritical.

And the Tweet goes on, the Tweet goes on
Drums keep pounding a rhythm to the brain
La de da de de, la de da de da

And the Tweet goes on, yes, the Tweet goes on
And the Tweet goes on, and the Tweet goes on
The Tweet goes on, and the Tweet goes on

Jarvis Buckley

Jim your comment was much longer than Cathys article. Although you are
s liberal Trump hater. We all understand that. Your comments need to be shorter & more precise.
Me thinks you like to read your writing. You are in the minority.

Jim Forsythe

and

Jim Forsythe

Do I hate Trump, no.
Noting he does will make me hate him , nor will. I may dislike somethings he does .
What I do not like is when he tweets one thing and does something else . When he complained about Obama golfing, and he golfed 19 times in his first 100 days, to Obamas  one time his first 100 days . It not his golfing, but his saying one thing, and do something else.
If you want to call me a Liberal that's find , but on something's I further right then you.
Jarvis, do you hate Obama?

Carlos Ponce

Jim, Obama's golfing trips were for fun or with celebrities, sometimes campaign fund raisers. Trumps "golfing trips" combine business with golf with heads of state, other foreign dignitaries, cabinet members or appointees. There is absolutely NO COMPARISON between the two.
Remember GW Bush's trips to the Crawford Ranch? Leftist chided him BUT those were also working trips often with foreign dignitaries.
Feb 3-6 President Trump traveled to the Mar-a-Lago Club, to attend the 60th annual Red Cross Ball. On his way back to D.C. from Mar-a-Lago, President Trump stopped in Tampa at MacDill Air Force Base to meet with military commanders, receive briefings, and make remarks.
Feb 10-12 President Trump traveled to Florida to play golf with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzō Abe and discuss Japanese-American relations.
Feb 17-20 President Trump held a rally at Orlando Melbourne International Airport and stayed at the Mar-a-Lago resort for the third weekend in a row, where he announced H. R. McMaster as the new National Security Advisor.
March 25-26 President Trump traveled to the Trump National Golf Club, Washington, D.C. in Potomac Falls, Virginia, where he held a meeting and played golf.
April 2 President Trump, Senator Rand Paul, and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney golfed at the Trump National Golf Club in Virginia, where they discussed a variety of topics, including healthcare.
Apr 6-9 President Trump traveled to Mar-a-Lago to host Chinese President Xi Jinping.On Saturday, April 8 and Sunday April 9, Trump visited Trump International Golf Club in West Palm Beach.
June 3-4 President Trump visited the Trump National Golf Club in Virginia and was joined by Peyton Manning and Tennessee Senator Bob Corker

Jim Forsythe

Just as Trump does business while golfing, so did Obama. Obama played golf to get away from it all, so does Trump.
It has also been revealed -- through golf blogs and media reports -- that Trump has played with top professional golfers such as Rory McIlroy, and he is not the only professional golfer to play with the President. While hosting Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in Palm Beach earlier this month, Trump played a full round with the foreign leader, and professional golfer, Ernie Els.
If it was for only business, should other be there?
Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins played a round of golf with the President at his club in New Jersey.

During his presidency Obama also golfed with foreign leaders, including Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak, British Prime Minister David Cameron and New Zealand Prime Minister John Key.

Carlos Ponce

"Just as Trump does business while golfing, so did Obama." He might have done a couple but most of his golf items were fund raisers or with celebrities. Tell me how many heads of state he played golf with.
[whistling][whistling][whistling][whistling]
"Hey, look, it's good. Golf is fine,but always play with leaders of countries and people that can help us; don't play with your friends all the time." Donald Trump

"If it was for only business, should other be there?" Why not?
Trump played with Rory McIlroy on February 19, 2017. He was also interviewing and announcing H. R. McMaster as the new National Security Advisor. Mr. Trump made the announcement at his Mar-a-Lago resort, where he interviewed candidates over the holiday weekend to replace Michael T. Flynn. Rory is from Northern Ireland. Perhaps Trump played him to get an international perspective on things.

Jim Forsythe

During his presidency, Obama also golfed with foreign leaders, including Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak, British Prime Minister David Cameron and New Zealand Prime Minister John Key .  Obama used golfing to relax, but did have a few guest. He preferred to do business  in the White House for security reasons.
Since the following had security clearances, that would not be a problem.
That outing offered Reps. Yarmuth, Ed Perlmutter of Colorado and Joe Courtney of Connecticut entree into an exclusive caucus
The first member of Congress to play with the president, Rep. James E. Clyburn (D-S.C.), said his two outings with Obama — both on Martha’s Vineyard, in 2009 and 2010 — were also largely free of shop talk.
. In 2011, after Republicans had won control of the House the previous fall, Obama invited the new House speaker, John A. Boehner, to join him for a round with Vice President Joe Biden. Boehner, an Ohio Republican, invited Ohio GOP Gov. John Kasich to make it a truly bipartisan pair.
In 2013, when Obama was undertaking a “charm offensive” with congressional Republicans at the start of his second term, Sens. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.), Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.) and Mark Udall (D-Colo.) were invited to golf with him. The round included a hole-in-one by Chambliss but was cut short because of a vote on Capitol Hill.

"If it was for only business, should other be there?" Why not?"
Security concerns were heightened in February when Trump and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe appeared to be strategizing over how to respond to a North Korean missile test while having dinner in plain sight on Mar-a-Lago's candlelit patio.
What was Trump thinking using his private club’s patio as a situation room?
Some Republicans appeared frustrated by Trump’s Saturday night powwow. “You can’t make it up,” said Arizona Sen. John McCain
“Usually that’s not a place where you do that kind of thing,” said Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, who sits on the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence.

Jarvis Buckley

Ms. Cathy you are a great writer. Keep up your great articles. Your story's move my heart. One word of advice. Keep politics out of your articles. Just my thoughts.....

Jarvis Buckley

Jim you are so much more articulate
than me. I just wanted to share my thoughts with you. I'm at least smart enough not to spare with you. I leave that to Carlos.

Jim Forsythe

Sorry , computer would not let me make it shorter. For some reason it showed it had been shorten, but add all the spaces. Jarvis you are wrong , as you do fine, telling what you think.

Jarvis Buckley

Jim I hate no one.

Jim Forsythe

"Jim I hate no one."
Nor, would I ever think you did.
The only thing I have ever hated , is fried liver.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.