BAYOU VISTA — A man returning from work Monday evening found his Bayou Vista home ablaze, but firefighters extinguished the flames before the house was destroyed.

No one was injured in the fire, which was likely sparked by an electrical short in a downstairs room at the two-story house on Marlin Street, Bayou Vista Volunteer Fire Department Capt. Robert Doolittle said.

The homeowner reported the fire at about 4:30 p.m. when he arrived home and saw smoke, Doolittle said.

Flames gutted a downstairs room and had begun to spread throughout the house before responders arrived, Doolittle said. The rest of the home suffered smoke damage.

Crews had the fire put out by 6 p.m.

Bayou Vista firefighters received assistance from the Hitchcock and La Marque fire departments.

Contact reporter Alex Macon at 409-683-5244 or alex.macon@galvnews.com.

Locations

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.