JAMAICA BEACH — A Jamaica Beach resident vowed to rebuild after his home suffered extensive damage in a fire Sunday afternoon.
Jerry Bryant said he was out in the garden at his home on Bermuda Way when he noticed smoke coming from a window air conditioning unit on the east side of the house.
No one was injured in the blaze, according to the Jamaica Beach Volunteer Fire Department.
Bryant said his wife was out of town visiting their daughter and grandchild when the fire started.
Bryant said when he entered the house to get the fire extinguisher, it was full smoke.
He was able to get his female pit bull, Coco, out of the house and call 911, Bryant said.
The damage was extensive and Bryant said he believed he might have to tear the building down.
“Living out here, because of hurricanes and stuff, you prepare yourself,” he said. “You could lose your house any day.”
The Jamaica Beach Fire Department got the call for the fire at the two-story house just after 1 p.m., said Jamaica Beach Fire Chief Kyle Baden.
Galveston Fire Department sent mutual aid to deal with the fire, Baden said.
There was heavy smoke and flames showing when the firefighters first arrived but they were able to get it under control in about an hour, Baden said.
Baden said he did not know the cause of the fire and that it would be investigated.
Bryant said he’s lived in Jamaica Beach for 10 years and plans to retire there. He said he would be rebuilding his home.
“I love it down here,” Bryant, 60, said.