GALVESTON — Two Ball High students received first-degree and second-degree burns from a burst of fire that erupted while they were working on a car at the school’s automotive shop Tuesday morning.
The students, a 16-year-old and an 18-year-old, were in stable condition and treated at the University of Texas Medical Branch, said LeeRoy Amador, chief of police for the Galveston school district.
A “burst of fire” within the car, which may have been caused by the combination of a lighter and some kind of chemical spray the students were using to work on the vehicle, burned the students’ faces and arms, Amador said.
It appeared one student was inside the car and the other was outside when flames “blew through the vents and sunroof” of the vehicle shortly before 11 a.m., Amador said.
The vehicle, which is owned by the school district and used to help instruct students at the Ball High School Automotive Shop, sustained some interior damage, Amador said.
The car was in an outdoor parking lot near the shop’s garage, and no other damage was reported.
A teacher and other students were far enough away from the flash to avoid being injured, Amador said.
The fire marshal and school district police are investigating the incident, he said.