Rumors on social media about plans to close the Galveston Causeway and other routes onto Galveston Island are false, the Texas Department of Transportation said Friday.
“We’re going to operate as long as it’s safe to do so,” said Danny Perez, a transportation department spokesman.
The department would consult with the Galveston Police Department before making any decisions about closings, Perez said. There have been no conversations about doing that so far, he said.
The causeway is the only official evacuation route off the island.
The city of Galveston has called a voluntary evacuation of areas west of 103rd Street, but has not expanded that to areas protected by the seawall.
The transportation department did suspend operations of the Galveston-Port Bolivar Ferry just after 6 p.m. Friday. The ferry will resume service when conditions improve, the department said in a tweet.
The ferry normally ceases operations when sustained winds reach between 50 mph and 55 mph, or when tides are 4 feet or more above normal.
The city plans a news conference about Hurricane Harvey for noon today.