The Galveston County Medical Examiner’s office received a completed autopsy report on the body of a 6-year-old Texas City boy, but officials Tuesday declined to release those results before a meeting set for early next week.

Texas City police responded to a call of an unresponsive child and found Mar’Nijah Brown, at a home Dec. 5, detective Paul Edinburgh said.

Paramedics attempted to perform CPR on the boy before taking him to Mainland Medical Center, where he was declared dead, Edinburgh said.

After Brown’s death, examiners conducted an autopsy and conducted tests. John “D.J.” Florence, chief investigator for the Galveston County Medical Examiner’s Office, in an earlier interview with The Daily News said it would take a few weeks to get toxicology results back.

Those results came in Monday.

“It is complete,” Florence said. “But I’m told we are not releasing any information.”

Officials with the Texas City Police Department, the medical examiner’s office, the Galveston County District Attorney’s Office and Mainland Medical Center are meeting early next week to review the report and try to make a decision on what the next step will be, Edinburgh said.

Results will only be released after a decision has been made, Edinburgh said.

Mar’Nijah died while living with his father, who had him since winning a custody battle in July 2016, R.A. Apffel, an attorney representing David Jerome Brown, said in an earlier interview with The Daily News.

David Jerome Brown is Mar’Nijah’s father.

Mar’Nijah was a first-grader at Lobit Elementary School in Dickinson Independent School District.

Apffel said Mar’Nijah had gotten into a fight with another boy at school and was disciplined when he got home for fighting. Later that night, after dinner, family members went upstairs to check on Mar’Nijah and found him unresponsive. Apffel said Mar’Nijah’s father was not in any way responsible for the boy’s death. The school district had no record of the fight.

Before going to live with his father, Mar’Nijah lived with Carolyn Stewart, his grandmother.

Mar’Nijah’s mother, Mikisha Lacole Alcorn, is serving time in prison on an unrelated 2011 assault charge.

Mar’Nijah’s father and Stewartare again involved in a legal dispute, this time involving the boy’s body.

A Galveston County Probate Court judge in January postponed a hearing on who would receive the body, pending the ongoing investigation in the case.

Galveston County District Attorney Jack Roady declined to name a person of interest in the child’s death but acknowledged that an investigation is ongoing.

The next hearing is set for 1:30 p.m. Feb. 23.

Contact reporter Matthew deGrood at 409-683-5230 or


(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.