LA MARQUE — About 20 people were displaced Friday by an apartment fire caused by a contractor making repairs to the roof fire and city officials said.

Firefighters were called to Laurel apartments 525 Laurel St. at 11:30 a.m. and found smoke coming from the roof La Marque fire Capt. Alfred Decker said.

Decker said there were no injuries and all the tenants were safely evacuated from two buildings which were side-by-side.

The damage was mostly limited to the attic roof and wiring to the air-conditioning unit Decker said.

”The cause of the fire was due to a roofer using a propane hot torch and putting it down on roofing material” Decker said.

The contractor was cited for not having the required permit Decker said. There also was no fire watch at the repair job which is another requirement he said.

Electricity was disconnected to about 10 apartments. Only one bedroom of an apartment was affected but firefighters covered belongings with plastic to protect them from water damage Decker said.

Firefighters with the help from agencies in Hitchcock and Bayou Vista had the fire out within 20 minutes Decker said.

At least 20 residents were displaced City Manager Carol Buttler said.

”Most of the residents are staying with family and friends” Buttler said.


(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.