March 7, 1904
Rosenberg Library board of directors to consider question of providing a branch library for African-Americans.
March 20, 1904
Board adopts the following resolutions:
1.) To establish a Branch and maintain it for exclusive use of colored citizens of Galveston; a colored assistant shall serve at pleasure of the Board under supervision of the Librarian.
2.) The term “colored” citizens includes every person of African descent.
3.) The Branch to be established and maintained in the city as the Board may from time to time determine.
May 25, 1904
Contractor Harry Devlin presents a sketch of the proposed annex to Central High School for use as the Branch library. Cost of construction estimated to be $1,500.
Jan. 10, 1905
Mr. Gibson, principal of Central High School, is put in charge the Colored Branch. His salary is set at $150 per year. Ms. Mabson is hired as the assistant librarian with a salary of $15 per month.
Hours for the Colored Branch are 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays; 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. Saturdays; and 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays.
The board approves expenditures of $112 for furniture and $875 for 1,125 books for the Colored Branch.
“The Colored Branch of Rosenberg Library” is adopted as the official name for the building.
The Colored Branch opens to the public.
May 1, 1905
The Colored Branch hours expanded to seven days a week, including 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Sundays.
March 19, 1909
Central High School and the Colored Branch to be raised during island’s post-1900 storm grade raising project.
July 17, 1909
The board approves the Galveston school board’s request to use the second floor of the Colored Branch for domestic science classes.
Jan. 20, 1919
Salary of Colored Branch Librarian Mr. Gibson increased from $15 to $20 per month.
Board considers raising the salary of the Colored Branch janitor from $10 to $15 per month.
Feb. 24, 1924
The school board and library board agree to move the library into a new space in the addition to Central High School.
June 17, 1942
Salary for Colored Branch Librarian Lillian Davis is raised to $80 per month. Colored Branch to remain open two nights per week during the summer months.
Oct. 24, 1951
Lillian Davis, Librarian of the Colored Branch, is awarded $100 for 33 years of service.
Dec. 10, 1953
Colored Branch moved to the new Central High School.
Feb. 16, 1957
Civic Development League requests desegregation of the main library. Revisions to original charter and bylaws are needed.
Feb. 27, 1957
African-Americans request the use of the main branch of Rosenberg Library.
Jan. 15, 1958
Integration of Rosenberg Library commences.
Jan. 19, 1958
Article IX of Bylaws, Separation of Races, eliminated. Colored Branch remains open.
Nov. 19, 1958
Colored Branch declared a school library only.
April 15, 1959
GISD adopts a resolution to close the Colored Branch on May 29, 1959.