GALVESTON — What began as Galveston Island’s Sears and Roebuck store is now home to one of Galveston Historical Foundation’s newest endeavors.
The foundation purchased the 1940 building, 2228 Broadway, in late 2012 and is underway with rehabilitation.
The 1940 Sears Building will be home to the foundation’s Center for Coastal Heritage, Preservation and Conservation Services and will also house its museum programs.
Additionally, it will offer space to related small businesses and nonprofits.
As part of the ongoing rehab of the building, the foundation seeks to create a neon sign to once again grace the building’s exterior as it did when originally built. When completed, the neon will read “GHF — At The 1940s Sears Bldg.”
To reach this goal, the public is invited to sponsor a letter. Letters are $1,000 each for the large G, H and F and $300 each for smaller letters. Final placement of the sign may vary from the artist rendering pending approval from the city. Letters can be sponsored at www.galvestonhistory.org or by calling 409-765-3419.
All sponsors of the Sears neon will be acknowledged in a special presentation and with a commemorative plaque to be installed in the building.
For information, contact Matthew Pelz, 409-765-3419 or firstname.lastname@example.org.