From the archives of The Daily News for June 10:
- In 1914, officers of the second division were ordered to master the Spanish language.
- In 1914, Francis Lightfoot Lee, the former collector of customs in Galveston, died.
- In 1964, an open house was planned for a new U.S. Coast Guard cutter at the U.S. Corps of Engineers wharf at Fort Point.
- In 1964, a petition from Kemah residents for an incorporation vote was turned over to the county tax assessor-collector for a check of names.
- In 1989, Chinese students attending the University of Texas Medical Branch met with university officials and asked them to support their efforts to communicate with people in China and acquire visa extensions.
- In 1989, the owners of a West End summer home destroyed in an early morning fire later found the burned body of a man in the rubble of the building. The identity of the victim remained unknown, but investigators believed the dead man was a worker at the house at 8 Mile Road and state Highway 3005.