From the archives of The Daily News for July 7:
- In 1914, commissioners backed a campaign against charbon in the county,
- In 1914, the official rat catcher was named in Galveston.
- In 1964, bids on two major sewer projects opened.
- In 1964, a new communications network unit went into operation in Galveston.
- In 1989, organizers and participants in a celebration honoring the 20th anniversary of Apollo 11, the first-manned moon landing, were disappointed that President Bush wouldn’t be attending the festivities.