From the archives of The Daily News for April 11:
• In 1914, two famous paintings from Adolphus Busch’s collection were on display at the Hotel Galvez. They were “The Forest Fire,” by A. K. Denisoff-Uralsky, and “The Departure of the Emigrants,” by Edward Farazyo.
• In 1964, Galveston completed its major exhibit for the Civil Aeronautics Bureau’s “use it or lose it” hearing on air traffic troubles at Scholes Field.
• In 1964, seven local unions received pay increases including truck drivers, teamsters, ironworkers and roofers.
• In 1989, the county was preparing for the annual fair and rodeo which was set to take place later that month.
• In 1989, the city of La Marque approved a $250 bonus for all city employees.