From the archives of The Daily News for Jan. 15:
- In 1914, the Red Cross paid $10,000 to the relief fund for Texas flood victims.
- In 1914, three soldiers and a chauffeur were injured in an automobile accident near Dickinson.
- In 1964, the Galveston Planning Commission discussed two possible sites for an East End fire station.
- In 1964, Galveston Independent School District leaders discussed the proposal of elementary and junior high schools.
- In 1989, to mark Galveston’s Fete de France Mardi Gras celebration, the Galveston Arts Center hosted two exhibitions by renowned artists Andre Ostier and Stewart Wilson.
- In 1989, Galveston County residents paid homage in recognition of the anniversary of the birth of slain civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.