From the archives of The Daily News for Jan. 27:
- In 1914, the labor council asked the city commissioners to employ only organized labor.
- In 1914, the bridge across Brazos River connected Velasco and Freeport at the river’s mouth.
- In 1964, more than 500 individuals witnessed the dedication of the $125,000 E. C. Northen Memorial Scout Service Center, 3020 53rd St., in Galveston.
- In 1964, more than 1,000 individuals toured the buildings of Ursuline Academy following the dedication ceremonies.
- In 1989, the City Council delayed action on proposed amendments to the smoking control ordinance for three weeks after its initial date. It become effective March 15 of that year.
- In 1989, the United Way of Galveston’s 1989 campaign netted more than $701,000, falling 8 percent short of its goal for the year, according to President William H. Felts Jr.