From the archives of The Daily News for June 25:
- In 1914, a tug boat from Veracruz, Mexico, brought mail and $200,000 to Galveston to be changed into gold.
- In 1914, Masonic Lodges in Galveston celebrated St. John’s Day, a feast honoring John the Baptist.
- In 1964, a freak wind destroyed a boat shed between Offatts Bayou and the Galveston Bay, but no other structures in the neighborhood were damaged
- In 1989, a tropical depression 150 miles offshore left Galveston Island swamped, and the nonstop rain left many streets well under water.
- In 1989, plans for a memorial honoring Galveston County residents who died in the Vietnam War were announced by Galveston County Marine Corps League officials. The Moody Foundation awarded the Marine Corps League and the Galveston County Parks Board a $50,000 challenge grant to help fund the $100,000 project.