From the archives of The Daily News for Jan. 25:
• In 1914, Galveston Mayor Lewis Fisher appealed for fund to complete the purchase of service for Battleship Texas.
• In 1914, the farewell review of Fifth Brigade was held by Major General Carter.
• In 1964, The first shipment of U.S. wheat to the Soviet Union from a Gulf port was loaded at the Port of Galveston.
• In 1964, a 24-hour radiothon in Texas City ended with a jam session from 10 a.m. to noon as the mainland city sought to beat Galveston’s two-day radiothon collection of $1,500.
• In 1989, while December cargoes on Galveston Wharves were down slightly, total tonnage for 1988 was up 52 percent compared to 1987, according to the port director and general manager.
• In 1989, La Marque High junior Kim Luu was picked for a special advanced program.