From the archives of The Daily News for June 1:
- In 1914, six sailors met their deaths in hold of tank steamship while off Mexican coast.
- In 1914, ten children were confirmed at Temple B’nai Israel by Rabbi Henry Cohen.
- In 1964, recruiting officers of the Fourth Army district met in Galveston.
- In 1964, ticket sales for the Galveston County Fair Rodeo went on sale at the chamber of commerce.
- In 1989, a major shake-up left nine vacancies in the Santa Fe Independent School District athletic department. The contracts of nine coaches were not renewed, said Rick Sickmiller, who coached the baseball Indians to the District 19-4A championship this spring.
- In 1989, thirty Arabian horses seized from their owner in what a sheriff’s deputy called the largest confiscation ever for alleged animal neglect in Galveston County found new homes at a Santa Fe auction.