From the archives of The Daily News for Jan. 8:

  • In 1914, President H.M. Trueheart resigned from the school board after 25 years of service.
  • In 1914, Greeks of Galveston celebrated their Christmas Day in church and home.
  • In 1964, two trucking firms filed petitions with the Texas Railroad Commission to service the West End of Galveston Island.
  • In 1964, two Galvestonians were expected to handle negotiations and appraisal of the land planned for acquisition in the East End for expansion of the University of Texas Medical Branch.
  • In 1989, several Magnolia Homes residents expressed concern over being forced to moved to “less desirable” housing as a result of the possible sale of the public housing facility.
  • In 1989, the city of Galveston’s East End Parking Plan changed a few rules pertaining to its operation. The plan provided residents living between Sixth and 14th streets, from Market to Broadway, to obtain special parking permits from the city to allow them to park their vehicles in their block, curbside with no time limit.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.