From the archives of The Daily News for May 11:
- In 1914, General J. Franklin Bell arrived at Texas City to take command.
- In 1914, several cargoes of corn were en route to Galveston, amounting to 660,000 bushels.
- In 1964, local members of the Travelers Protective agency were getting ready for 200 visitors that were expected to attend the state convention.
- In 1964, the county fair and rodeo board of directors heard reports on grounds and facilities.
- In 1989, an ammonia leak at the Liberty Seafood Building on Pier 7 sent one man to the hospital with injuries.
- In 1989, a number of Galveston County residents testified before a senate committee on a bill that would transfer administration of beach cleaning from Texas Parks and Wildlife to the General Land Office.