From the archives of The Daily News for June 23:
In 1914, the annual family reunion of Missouri, Kansas and Texas officials was held.
In 1964, a new shopping center was opening in Galveston. Evans Food Stores and Texas Drug were the initial tenants of the center at 69th and Jones Drive.
In 1964, a salary increase for County Auditor Hudson Caro was included in recommendations to the county commissioners court.
In 1989, trustees of the La Marque school district unanimously accepted a cafeteria management proposal that would cut employee hours and reduce hourly wages by 12.5 percent. They also accepted amendments to the student handbook that would not allow students to wear shorts to class and will create a common area for tardy students.
In 1989, Galveston firefighters responded to a fire in the 4100 block of Jackson in the Sea Isle subdivision. The house was completely destroyed by the fire, which was reported about 2:30 p.m.
From Staff Reports