• Welcome!
    Logout|My Dashboard

From the files of Texas’ oldest newspaper for March 3, 2014 - The Galveston County Daily News: Today In History

January 21, 2017

From the files of Texas’ oldest newspaper for March 3, 2014

Posted: Monday, March 3, 2014 12:00 am

From the archives of The Daily News for March 3:

  • In 1914, the body of a man thought to be Otto Kline, 35, was found lying on the rocks at the base of the seawall near 45th Street by soldiers. The police were notified and the body was removed to the F.P. Malloy & Son funeral home.
  • In 1914, the La Marque school board selected a 2-acre site for a new school building, funded by an $8,000 bond issue.
  • In 1964, a proposed contract for the Magic harbor development was submitted to the executive committee of the Galveston Beach Park Board of Trustees. The proposed contract was delivered by State Sen. A.R. Schwartz, legal representative for Trans-West Development and Engineering Corp., who proposed to build Magic Harbors of the World in Galveston’s West End.
  • In 1964, police connected a break-in at Texas City City Hall with another forced entry and possibly three others committed during the same time frame. Burglars used a acetylene torch — stolen the same night from Iweco Inc. at 332 Texas Ave. — to open a safe in City Hall, taking about $4,900 in cash and checks.
  • In 1989, the board of trustees of College of the Mainland voted to unite with Galveston College in offering services to small businesses.
  • In 1989, four applications seeking greyhound race track licenses in Galveston County were filed with the Texas Racing Commission, bringing the total to five. Four of the groups were seeking to develop tracks on the mainland and one was planning on a Galveston Island site.

Subscription Required

An online service is needed to view this article in its entirety. You need an online service to view this article in its entirety.

Have an online subscription?

Need an online subscription?



Choose an online service.