From the archives of The Daily News for Aug. 23:
• In 1914, the Louisiana Dock Board praised the Galveston wharf system.
• In 1965, the Galveston City Council was to study capital improvement proposals for a two-year period, which could have led to a bond issue election.
• In 1965, a state historical marker designating Galveston as the “Gateway to Texas” was unveiled at the Moody Civic Center. About 60 attended a brief ceremony at which the marker was unveiled by William L. Moody IV on behalf of the Moody family.
• In 1989, Frank Fogarty, vice president of Ryan-Walsh stevedores, told Galveston Wharves trustees that Lykes Bros. Steamship Lines might move to a more competitive port.
• In 1989, negotiations resumed with Lone Star Flight Museum to locate a facility at Scholes Field. Talks between the city and museum had broken off earlier that year.