From the archives of The Daily News for June 11:
• In 1914, the largest individual cotton compress in the world was going to be built in Galveston.
• In 1964, Pelican Island development for the year 2000 was stressed by an A&M University architecture professor for Galveston.
• In 1964, the work stoppage continued at Falslaff Brewing Corp.’s Galveston and New Orleans plants.
• In 1989, a Life Flight helicopter crew and Galveston firefighters took part in a dramatic rescue after a major accident on the causeway left several motorists trapped and injured. The helicopter landed in the northbound lanes of the causeway to airlift a trapped victim to John Sealy Hospital.
• In 1989, two Daily News journalists were promoted. Kathy Thomas was named assistant managing editor/editorial page and special sections, and Bill Haisten was named assistant managing editor/news and photos.