From the archives of The Daily News for May 28:
- In 1914, eight nurses graduated from St. Mary’s Training School.
- In 1914, a fleet of destroyers were ordered to their home ports except for mail boats, which were retained in Galveston.
- In 1964, witnesses testified that no argument preceded a Crystal Beach slaying during a poker game.
- In 1964, City Council members were looking forward to a quick and quiet session.
- In 1989, a bill that would allow Texas cruise ships offering onboard gambling to operate without stopping at a foreign port steamed out of the Senate.