From the archives of The Daily News for May 16:

  •  In 1914, one life was lost and property worth $900,000 was lost in a cotton warehouse fire.
  • In 1914, alumni of the University of Texas College of Medicine held homecoming day in Galveston.
  • In 1964, two people were injured in an auto collision in Galveston were not believed to be seriously hurt.
  • In 1964, the Port of Galveston outranked 23 other grain ports in the U.S. and led the nation in the number of grain cars unloaded during the previous month.
  • In 1989, Galveston County took control of Crystal Beach after residents voted to dissolve the city.
  • In 1989, the Dickinson School Board voted to rename two district buildings. Dickinson Primary School was renamed John E. Barber Elementary School and the districts administration building was named for Raymond “Pop” Gillis.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.