From the archives of The Daily News for June 2:
- In 1914, United States officials were to hear testimony as to the feasibility of establishing an oil pipeline.
- In 1914, a branch of the Young Women’s Christian Association was organized in Galveston.
- In 1964, Texas A&M scientists left Galveston for another excursion in the Gulf to collect sediments from 13,000 feet below the surface.
- In 1964, Ralph Colwell director of the county welfare department has resigned to go to Maine.
- In 1989, problems with large weekend crowds blocking the street and sidewalk of Seawall Boulevard between sixth and 14th streets resulted in a parking ban along some sections of the street. The Galveston City Council passed an amendment to the city’s parking ordinance that banned parking 24 hours a day on the south side of Seawall Boulevard between sixth and seventh streets; ninth to 11th streets; and 12th and 13th streets.
- In 1989, a public school equity plan that was awaiting approval from Gov. Bill Clements proposed a $1 million cut in state aid from the school district in Galveston, and more than $400,000 from the La Marque district by 1991.