From the archives of The Daily News for July 9:
• In 1914, recommendations were made about reducing the speed of large boats in the channel.
• In 1914, Louisiana Freight men held a family meeting in Galveston.
• In 1964, 14 counties met in Texas City to talk about disaster preparedness.
• In 1964, bids on proposed Galveston sewer projects were considered “a little high.”
• In 1989, an application hearing took place in Austin for the not-yet-constructed greyhound racetrack in La Marque.
• In 1989, Judge John McKellips, who was previously removed by El Paso voters, presided over a murder trial in Galveston.