• The first Faith Sladek Memorial Horse Show was held.
• Ed Pickett Hall was constructed and is now used for commercial exhibits and the Youth Project Show.
• The first Scholarship Fund Golf Tournament was held.
• Junior Livestock Auction Sales totaled $291,950.
• The first Hunting and Fishing Show was sponsored by the fair.
• The first Seafood Cook-off was held.
• The first Forty Creek Fishing Tournament, benefiting the Galveston County Fair and Rodeo scholarships, was held.
• The fair awarded $38,500 in scholarships.
• Junior Livestock Auction sales totaled $307,800.
• In September of this year, Hurricane Ike made landfall near Galveston. The fairgrounds were used as Federal Emergency Management Agency’s home base for the blue roof program.
• The fair awarded $40,400 in scholarships.