• Welcome!
    Logout|My Dashboard

Teen killed in crash attended, mom worked for Dickinson ISD - The Galveston County Daily News: Free

October 24, 2016

Teen killed in crash attended, mom worked for Dickinson ISD

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Related Videos


Posted: Monday, August 11, 2014 6:30 pm

LEAGUE CITY — A high-speed chase that started in Dickinson ended in a two-car crash late Sunday evening, killing all six people in the vehicles, including a teenager.

The accident scene was at FM 646 and Ohio Street in League City.

Police said Juan Garcia Ahuezoteco, 23, and Alejandro Molina, whose age was still unknown Monday, were in a Dodge Durango being chased by officers. Ahuezoteco was driving, police allege.

The other car, a Honda Accord, was carrying a family of four who lived less than a block away from the crash site.

Police identified the three adults killed in the Honda as Rafael Guererro, 41; his wife, Alejandra Guerrero, 38; and her brother, Gilberto Ortega Jr. 25. Guerreros’s son Luis Angel Guerrero, 15, also was killed.

Alejandra Guerrero had until April worked for five months as a part-time cafeteria worker for Dickinson High School, school district spokeswoman Tammy Dowdy confirmed. Alejandra Guerrero also worked for the district’s food services department in 2007, Dowdy said.

Luis Guerrero was to be an eighth-grader at McAdams Junior High in the fall, Dowdy said.

Dickinson police revealed Monday that Ahuezoteco had a warrant for a felony DWI charge.

Records show that state troopers arrested him Aug. 18, 2013, and his bond was forfeited in December.

But in August, the cash bond was released to a woman who lived at his same address in League City. Court records show that DWI case is still open.

According to court records, Ahuezoteco was a League City resident, but a citizen of Mexico. Officials were unable to confirm if he was a legal resident of the United States.

League City police closed FM 646 for more than five hours for the accident investigation.

Dickinson police Capt. Jay Jaekel said officer Daniel Banda tried pulling a Dodge Durango over near Deats Road after he saw the truck swerving and running without headlights about 8:20 p.m.

The SUV sped away and struck another car before the fatal collision after running the stop sign at Deats and Ohio.

No one was hurt in the first crash, and the Galveston County Sheriff’s Office is handling that investigation, Jaekel said.

The driver kept going at speeds in excess of 100 mph, Jaekel said. That is when Banda initiated the chase, he said.

“He was going so fast my guy couldn’t keep up,” Jaekel said.

The officer didn’t see the fatal crash, the police captain said.

The driver blew through the stop sign at Ohio and FM 646 and struck the car carrying the family members as they were headed east, police said.

Police think the driver was preparing to turn north onto Ohio Street.

The impact was so great the vehicles careened across FM 646, through a ditch and through some brush.

Jaekel said the officer who initiated the chase wasn’t hurt, but “was pretty shook up by what he saw.”

Jaekel said the crash scene “is one of the worst I have ever seen.”

League City’s accident investigation team and its crime scene investigators are handling the crash investigation.

The Galveston County District Attorney and the Texas Department of Public Safety also are assisting in the investigation.

Galveston County Jobs