TEXAS CITY — Limited shipping traffic in the Houston and Texas City ship channels and the Intracoastal Waterway resumed Tuesday.

The waterways were closed to vessel traffic since a barge carrying heavy fuel oil collided with a ship and leaked more than 168,000 gallons of the oil on Saturday.

The forced closures stranded billions of dollars in cargo — including petrochemical products — at sea or in port.

“Commerce is moving,” said U.S. Coast Guard Capt. Brian Penoyer, the head of the spill response command.

The resumption of limited shipping traffic came about 72 hours after the barge and ship collided.

“The cleanup operations’ progress is to the point that there is minimal danger of contamination to the commercial maritime traffic and allowing limited transit during daylight hours,” Penoyer said.

Penoyer said with approaching bad weather, Tuesday was a primary day to capture as much oil as possible. As of Tuesday morning, the Coast Guard estimated it had collected more than 164,000 gallons of oil and water mixture.

Restrictions on travel

Vessel traffic will be limited to daylight hours only, and each ship or barge making its way through the channels would be monitored for any oil

A vessel decontamination plan was implemented so that any vessels that are “oiled” are cleaned off, Penoyer said.

In some areas along the channel, the vessels must run very slow in what is called a “dead slow,” Texas City Emergency Management Coordinator Bruce Clawson said.

Dead slow has a ship going as slow as it can without losing the ability for the vessel to respond to changes in direction.

Any vessel traffic initially allowed to head into or leave port will be prioritized at first, Clawson said. The individual ports determined that priority list, Penoyer said.

Earlier in the day, the Coast Guard allowed the Carnival Magic cruise ship to leave the Port of Galveston.

With more than 90 ships stuck in the ship channels or at port, it will be a while before regular traffic can resume when the restrictions are lifted, Penoyer said.

He said on a normal day after an extended weather-forced closure, it takes up to three days to get shipping lane traffic back to normal.

Texas City plants ‘close to being in bad shape’

The reopening of shipping lanes couldn’t have come at a better time, Clawson said.

“Many of our facilities were starting to hurt,” Clawson said. “All of our oil refineries were at what they call in the margin zones, they were close to being in bad shape (to supply and send product out by ship.)

“If this lasted another day, all of them would have been in bad shape.”

In particular, Marathon Petroleum’s Galveston Bay Refinery in Texas City, the nation’s fourth largest oil refinery, needed to get ships moving again, Clawson said.

A barge carrying critical supplies for that refinery was allowed to move through the channel and turned out to be a “test vessel,” to see if shipping would be a risk of spreading the oil into sensitive areas.

Marathon Petroleum spokeswoman Angelia Graves said the company does not comment on operations at its facilities. Marathon has two refineries in Texas City.

Companies adjust

to closures

“Some shipments have been delayed but our plans and operating discipline have helped us maintain production levels,” Dow Chemical spokeswoman Tracie Copeland said of its Texas City chemical plant.

The company’s logistics team worked with customers and suppliers to minimize the effect of the lack of shipping, Copeland said.

Bill Day of Valero, which has a Texas City refinery, said his company also doesn’t comment on such things, but “I can say that this is not the first time the refineries along the ship channel have experienced a temporary closure.”

NuStar Energy, which operates a terminal in the Port of Texas City, said two of its vessels were stuck at port.

Still, the lack of shipping had little affect on operations.

“We are working with our customers to reschedule outbound and inbound deliveries once the port is reopened,” NuStar Texas City Manager Bill Tyler said.

“We expect minimal financial impact since we will be able to resume waterborne deliveries to and from our customers once the port reopens.”

Other petrochemical facilities in Texas City did not respond to The Daily News.

Ferry running again

After a limited run on Monday, ferry service between Galveston and the Bolivar Peninsula also resumed early Tuesday morning.

The ferries made six roundtrips between 4:30 p.m. and 7:15 p.m. Monday.

Ferry service is still limited to 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. for the time being.

The first ferry of the day Tuesday, the Robert H. Dedman, boarded about 6:30 a.m. and took off a few minutes later. The Ray Stoker Jr. left the ferry landing not long after.

Signs driving onto the ferry from Galveston warned motorists about possible oil-filled spray coming up as the ferry made its way between the island and peninsula. The signs also instructed passengers to remain in their cars.

As vehicle’s loaded the ferry, crews kept them back from the very front of the boats. They also didn’t fully enforce the stay-in-your-car rule because a few people got out of their cars to take in the views, including a very nice sunrise.

Water along the route appeared clean.

Danny Perez, a Texas Department of Transportation spokesman, said the three ferries running made 23 roundtrips as of 3:15 p.m. Tuesday.

Barge set for repairs

Barge owner Kirby Inland Marine’s Vice President Jim Guidry said the damaged barge had been decontaminated and prepped for towing to a repair facility in Houston.

He said he expected the barge to be taken to the facility sometime today.

Guidrys company is footing the bill for all of the cleanup costs and set up a claims phone number to collect information from businesses and individuals who may have been harmed by the spill.

Under federal law, because the fuel oil came from the Kirby barge, the company is labeled the “responsible party.”

Texas General Land Office Commissioner Jerry Patterson, whose agency oversees the state response to the spill, said that doesn’t mean Kirby is at fault.

An ongoing investigation by the Coast Guard and the National Transportation Safety Board will determine who is at fault in the accident.

Patterson praised Kirby for stepping up and said the company called him on his mobile phone within minutes of the collision with a Greek-owned cargo ship.

Response praised

Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, who came to Texas City to check on the spill response, praised the coordination of city, county, state and federal resources.

“But for the oil, this is a model exercise,” Dewhurst said.

In fact, Dewhurst and Galveston County Emergency Management Coordinator David Popoff confirmed that a live drill modeled to the similar situation that occurred during the weekend was planned for Saturday.

Popoff said the drill was to play out two vessels colliding at the Texas City Y, which is the intersection of the Houston and Texas City Ship Channels and Intracoastal Waterway, followed by a massive leak.

He said because of the real-life response, that drill has since been canceled and instead a debriefing of this response would take its place.

County Judge Mark Henry said he met with Penoyer five weeks ago to review oil spill response plans and terms in preparation for the drill.

Popoff called Saturday’s collision his “worst-case fear,” and that is why the drill was planned.

Photo Editor Jennifer Reynolds and Reporter Christopher Smith Gonzalez contributed to this report.

Contact Mainland Editor T.J. Aulds at 409-683-5334 or tjaulds@galvnews.com.

At a glance

  •  18.9 miles: Total nonconsecutive shoreline impacted
  • 175,098: Recovered gallons of oily-water
  • 1,799: Recovered bags of solid-waste bags
  • 18,480: Total gallons of oil evaporated
  •  2,100 gallons: Natural dispersion rate of oil
  • 69,268 feet: Total containment boom deployed
  • 253,300 feet: Total containment boom staged  
  • 5,400 feet: Additional containment boom ordered
  • 70: Response vessels assigned
  •  940: Total personnel in the field
  •  324: Total personnel in the Incident Command Post

source: Unified Command

Key numbers

Claims line for those affected by spill: 855-276-1275

To report wildlife injured by spill: 888-384-2000

For updates on ferry status: 409-795-2230

Contact Mainland Editor T.J. Aulds at 409-683-5334 or tjaulds@galvnews.com.

Editor's note: If you have photos related to the Galveston Bay oil spill send them to newsroom@galvnews.com or if you post them to Facebook or Twitter use the hashtag #GCDN.

(4) comments

Robert Buckner

Free advertisement via the forum?

Miceal O'Laochdha

Don't be too impressed by Kirby "stepping up to take responsibility" it was not an optional thing for them. They are required by law and by their own approved SOPEP to do so. That is neither a bad nor a good move by the vessel owners; simply what is legally required of them.

It has nothing at all to do with which vessel is determined to by fully or partially responsible for the allision itself (the bloody spell check keeps changing the term allision to allusion and I sometimes fail to proof-read. The correct term for two vessels making contact underway is "allision").

The vessel spilling the product into the navigable waters of the US is the Kirby owned barge, that is what drives who is the responsible party here. Responsible for the spill not the ship contact. There are three vessels to be considered in this incident, the barge, the tug made up to it (both owned by Kirby) and the ship. They are reporting the track record of the tug, which is right as that is what counts in this case. The history of the barge itself is not relevant. But, crews change frequently on push boats like this so, when discussing her history of groundings, allisions, etc. it is worthwhile to dig deeper as to who was in command onboard the tug at the times of these various incidents. Quite possibly all of these incidents are related to human error, not machinery failure and so who was onboard matters more than the tug itself.
You can be sure the USCG investigators, as well as the Texas GLO investigators (the GLO investigators are knowledgeable, powerful, and usually keep very quiet in these incidents) will be asking these questions. It would be good for public information if our reporters did so too, and printed the news. Just relaying what the now media-posturing COTP releases to them in news conferences is not good reporting.

Steve Fouga

I guess it's not "good form" to ask personal questions of fellow contributors on these boards, but I have to admit to curiosity about a number of you.

Like in this case, miceal, how do you know all this stuff?


George Croix

And the poisoning of the jury pool(s) begins, or at least the sweetening of the settlements.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.