Whether on the bay or beach front, area RV resorts prove that going into the wild doesn’t mean you have to go without.
1. The 200-site Marina Bay RV Resort, 925 Marina Bay Drive in Kemah, boasts modern shower facilities, three swimming pools and 400 feet of bayou frontage for anglers looking to score a catch. For those without an Airstream, the resort offers cute cabins for lease.
2. Three blocks from Galveston Bay, Kemah RV Resort, 675 Miles Road in Bacliff, has cabins of all sizes. If it’s available, opt for the large cabin that comes with a screened-in porch.
3. Palms RV Park, 2705 Dickinson Ave. in Dickinson, underwent a complete renovation in 2008. The park offers RV slips and fully furnished cottages. The family park offers a dog-walking area, barbecue facilities and Wi-Fi.
4. Cabins on the Bayou, 8518 state Highway 6 in Hitchcock, offers cabins with full kitchen, including utensils and cookware, paid utilities and cable TV. The cabins are near a peaceful park, where guests can watch the variety of birds, squirrels and other wildlife. Picnic facilities available.
5. Tiki Tom’s RV Park, 333 Jones Lake Road on Tiki Island, is a favorite among kayak anglers. The park offers easy access to fishing on Jones Lake and is near six areas of protected grassland, along with several live oyster reefs — great for bird and nature watching. Six new sites are extra-long and have a covered patio attached to them.
6. Although the majority of area RV resorts don’t accommodate tent camping, Jamaica Beach RV Resort, 17200 Termini San Luis Pass Road in Jamaica Beach, is an exception. Its prime location is one reason to visit — just across FM 3005 from the beach. Also a plus: the on-site exercise room, hot tub, splash pad, game room and swimming pool.
7. Both RV and tent campers can set up at one of the 36 Gulf of Mexico facing sites with electricity and water at Galveston Island State Park, 14901 FM 3005 in Galveston. More rustic than their beach counterparts, 10 tent campsites on the bay side come sans electricity, but with nearby fire rings.
8. Along 1,000 feet of beach front, Dellanera RV Park, 10901 San Luis Pass in Galveston, has 63 full RV hookups with on-site showers, laundry facilities, a gift shop and a recreation room.
9. One mile from Moody Gardens, Bayou Shores RV Resort, 6310 Heards Lane, has 84 full hookups with easy access to boating, fishing and swimming.
10. At the Smith Oaks Sanctuary in High Island, 100-year-old oak trees form a canopy over both RV and tent campers. Operated by the Houston Audubon Society, nearby ponds and wetlands are a haven for nature enthusiasts.