On Jan. 30, more than 200 students from the Clear Creek Independent School District received awards for their projects at the CCISD Science & Engineering Fair Awards Night, an annual event that recognizes students in grades 4-12 for their original scientific research. The Science & Engineering Fair distinguishes up and coming scientists who demonstrate 21st century skills such as critical thinking, communication and collaboration, discipline, and project management.
Volunteer judges from around the community evaluated more than 550 elementary and secondary projects. Projects are judged on a wide range of criteria, including whether the data was gathered in a reliable way, the student showed originality of thought in the design of the experiment and the average person would be able to understand what was being displayed.
With more than 3,000 elementary students participating in their campus-level science and engineering fairs, 326 fourth- and fifth-graders advanced to the district level competition. More than 230 intermediate and high school students competed in three divisions and 17 categories.
The judges selected Grand Award winners and place winners. Next in the competition, 112 junior and senior division winners are eligible to advance to the Science & Engineering Fair of Houston on Feb. 23-24. Several students received special recognition through the Iyar Fine Arts Forum Sound Music Through Science — Universal Peace Through Music Award, which is presented to students with fine arts-related science projects.
The 2018 CCISD Science & Engineering Fair Grand Award Winners are:
• Jesse A. Dorrington 2018 Grand Award (Life Science): Vaidya Parthasarathey, Clear Lake High School
• Jesse A. Dorrington 2018 Grand Award Runner Up (Life Science): Akhil Majmudar, Clear Brook High School
• Jesse A. Dorrington 2018 Grand Award (Physical Science): Andrew Liu and Smiti Gandhi, Clear Brook High School, and Kumaran Selva, Clear Lake High School
• Jesse A. Dorrington 2018 Grand Award (Engineering): Syamantak Payra, Clear Brook High School
• Jesse A. Dorrington 2018 Grand Award Runner-Up (Engineering): Steven Wu, Clear Lake High School
• IYAR Fine Arts Award: Sound Music through Science — Universal Peace through Music
• The Shruti Laya Award: Daniel Vassiliev, Brookwood Elementary
• Honorable mention: Elle Dobzyniak, Ferguson Elementary
• The Pattu Raiagopalan Award: Lindsey Gefrides, Seabrook Intermediate School
• Honorable mention: Kyra Bowen, Seabrook Intermediate School