Galveston County students named to dean’s lists
The following students have been named to the dean’s list for the fall 2017 semester at the following colleges/universities:
• University of Mary Hardin-Baylor — Hannah Larsen, of Dickinson; Cassie Doyle, Katie Doyle, Abigail Francescon, Elissa Freberg, Marissa Halvorson, and Megan Reyes, of Friendswood; and Schyler Malloy and Karen Tennis, of League City.
• University of North Texas — Marcus R. Cardenas and Samantha L. Walsdorf, of Galveston; and Melchor Joseph Thomas and Sierra Boudreaux, of Texas City.
• University of the Cumberlands — Jessica Rodriguez, of Friendswood.
• Harding University College of Pharmacy — Shelby Adams, of League City.
• Quinnipiac University — Brinkley Welty, of League City.
• Eastern Wyoming College — Lauren O’Connell, of League City.
• Texas A&M-Kingsville — Sophia Elizabeth Hurley, of Friendswood, and Mykaela Aleya Groom, of Texas City.
• Worcester Polytechnic Institute — Alia Brown, of Dickinson.
CCISD theatre students qualify for Thespian Nationals
Thirty theatre students from across Clear Creek Independent School District qualified for nationals after a successful weekend at the 2017-18 Texas Thespians State Festival. This competition recognizes the best in high school theatre from across the state.
To qualify for the International Thespian Festival this summer, the students must receive an overall ranking of Superior from all three judges. This year, there were more than 2,000 individual event entries from across the state and less than one-third of them qualified for Nationals.
Clear Falls High School junior Kameryn Griesser also was elected to the position of State Thespian Officer for 2018-19.
The full list of students who qualified are: Mia Carter, Hanna Russe, Sutton Anderson, and Madison Vansco, from Clear Creek High School; Madi Gonzalez, and Rachel Neff, from Clear Falls High School; Noel Jones, Michael Korth, Brandon Doan, Jessie Pew, Nevaeh Mansur, Sam Nichols, and Severin Gawli, from Clear Lake High School; Hayley Dougherty, Hannah Hayes, Nikhil Bendre, Abbie Heisley, Olivia Bell, Jacob Rodriguez, Emma Yehle, Aslyn Hicks, Maya Edgu-Fry, Kyle Benacquisto, Brooke Fowler, Lauren McGuire, Sophia Moreno, Aliza Iverson, Caralyne Murphy, Dane Wyble, and Piper Vaught, from Clear Springs High School.
GISD art students place in art show
Congratulations are in order to the Galveston Independent School District’s art students and their teachers.
The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo School Art 2D competition for the district was held Jan. 9 at NRG Arena in Houston. The school had Best of Show and Gold Medal winners in every category and a total of 25 Finalists for the HLSR contest.
In the high school category, Quinn Templewood won Best of Show; and Emmeline Howrey won the gold medal. McKay Talley is their art teacher.
In the middle school category, Joelle Dondonay won Best of Show; and Arleth Flores won the gold medal. Regina Bishop at Austin Middle School is the teacher.
In the elementary school category, fourth-graders Eduardo Cruz won Best of Show; and Chloe Ortiz won the gold medal. Gregg Ludwig at Parker Elementary School is the teacher.